It's okay, if you are a turtle. A happy turtle!

Contributor: Shivani Kapoor


जीवन न तो भववष्य मेंहैन अतीत मैं,जीवन तो बस इस पल मैंहै. - Bhagwat Gita 

My account of experiences with Gramya Manthan-9, a rural immersion program in the villages of Kanpur-Dehat. Few weeks before this program, I was bulleted with many questions by my peers. Some of the common ones were, why are you going to Kanpur? What is Gramya Manthan? Will you be able to live in villages with no electricity at all? What are your further plans in life?

I just told them that Gramya Manthan is a 10 day rural immersion program. It's happening in Kanpur. And, I am going because I am in search of the purpose of my life. Gramya Manthan has been a quest to try finding answers to many questions that I have been struggling with inside my heart. The questions that I could never bring myself to terms with. 
And, now after coming back from the beautiful 10 days Gramya Manthan journey, I wish to write and share my experience with you all. 

Gramya Manthan is an exciting self exploration journey of 10 days rural immersion along with nature and its beauty, mother earth and its components and a team of beautiful souls, who work together in villages by stepping into the shoes of villagers by making deeper connections. It is a value based, empathy driven, service learning program for community building.


In those 10 mere days, I was just me (the Real ME) and not a reflection of what the society expects me to be. During the Moment of Silence in circles, where we all just sit in silence and embrace the voices within our heads, to understand each other without speaking. I realized that eyes speak a lot more than mouths and it takes a lot to listen to them. I found my Inner Peace during those moments of silence.



From taking the Leap of Faith (Trust fall from height of 7 feet) on Day 1 where all my team mates were assuring me that they will not let me fall, they were shouting on top of their voices with confidence and love “Trust us Shivani, we won’t let you fall, Come on, take the leap of faith”. I was having confidence in them, I told them that I trust you all but I am struggling with my own fears, It took me a lot of time to free my body and fall back, but I am glad that I took that challenge, overcame my fear and took the leap of faith. From that Day 1 experience till the Gratitude Walk (Thanking and Hugging each other) on Day 10, Strangers became Family. #GMFamilyistheBest 



I got to listen to enlightening words. Stories of the beautiful souls with me and their courageous decisions, of unconditional service. Stories full of struggles and challenges to the stories that reflect strength, power and love. The ability to listen with no assumptions has increased manifold in me. 


Being an environmentalist, I came to Gramya Manthan with an expectation of creating awareness about burning environmental issues and having a good conversation regarding the same with all other 28 change-makers as well as team members. As the Gramya Manthan came to an end, I am so glad to witness the disturbance inside every individual regarding environmental issues. Many of my friends approached me to ask, How can they contribute to solve environmental problems? What steps do they need to take? They are ready to take actions. They were deeply bothered by the problems and realized the importance of how each individual’s small action can bring out big changes. 

Visit to Villages of Kanpur Dehat gave me a lot of experience. I observed each and everything so deeply. The host family I stayed with during the rural immersion days gave me unconditional love. That family is a true personification of immense love, strength and power. The deep connection I built with them during the stay will always be in my heart. The deep conversations with them during the delicious meal they cooked with love will be missed so much. Stereotypes have been made that village people are narrow minded but my host family was breaking all the stereotypes, their life story has plenty of examples that show how broad minded they are, how smartly they faced all the challenges. After listening to their life journey, I am so proud of them and hold huge respect for them in my heart. I got to learn a lot from them. I call them as ‘mera parivaar’ and that village as ‘mera gaon’. 


During Restoration of Pond in Kharagpur Village, my team and I worked really hard. First, we cleaned the pond by picking up all the plastic and non biodegradable waste that was dumped by the local residents. Later, with the help of Earth Mover machine, we restored the pond. During community engagement, we told the villagers the scientific importance of pond, how it will increase the level of water table. We also performed a Nukkad Natak that left the message of how human activities are affecting the environment and how all the components of earth are interconnected. Gramya Manthan Journey was simply beautiful. 


From speaking my heart out to just listen to other's stories patiently. 
From drinking Khaara Paani to eating in one plate together. 
From Community engagement to Pond Restoration. 
From endless laughter to crying together. 
Gramya Manthan made me realize that there is utmost beauty in the small joys of life. My constant struggle of whether to listen to my Heart or Mind has been solved. I think now I know how to make a perfect balance of the two. The difference between Empathy & Sympathy and Service & Help was the highlight of the journey.

People have been questioning me all my life about my no expression of emotions, ignorance, spontaneous nature, not planned future. I just want to answer them, 

“I AM A TURTLE, A HAPPY TURTLE  
PLEASE DON’T DISCOURAGE ME.  
I AM MAKING PROGRESS,  
NO MATTER HOW SLOW.” 

The power of love and knowledge coupled with actions and willingness to work can solve any problem that comes your way. My Heart yearns to go back again. I will continue to implement what I have learnt in GM! Big Thank you to Youth Alliance, Gramya Manthan and everyone related to Gramya Manthan for giving me tons of positivity, love and support.

Comments

Popular Posts