An Experience Unravelled: Reflections on the Padh-Yatra


Contributor: Prachi Lohia

A moment hovered over me where I lay on the grass in the arms of an endless field with the vast clear sky looking down at me and in that moment I knew that we are an embodiment of the limitless sky and the open fields.

What it took for me to realize this, was a journey to Kausani. A journey which is going to last a lifetime. Before the trip, I was discontented with the stagnant pool that my life was in. It was dull and mundane. When I took the train to begin the journey, I was adamant to give myself the adrenaline rush that would jolt my spirits in action. There was a satisfaction of doing something with my life but also the restlessness of making it memorable and eventful. But when we got down at the station of Kathgodam at 5 in the morning, I stood on the road watching the quiet, mighty hills. The breathlessness of the wind was panting in my ears and the quiet stillness of the hills was echoing a glorious message. The lavender flowers shed themselves off the tree in peaceful surrender. I stood on the road for a long time without uttering a word, taking the ethereal silence inside myself. Thousands of questions came rushing to my brain as I wondered about my desires from life. I wondered why the stillness that my life was in, eating me up from inside. I wondered what the purpose of the rush that we desire from life was. Why does racing in life become so important for us and what are we running towards? Don’t we all work ourselves up to achieve the spiritual calmness that our life offers us at every step? My journey to Ranikhet began with these bizarre questions in my head.



We walked through the forests in silence surrendering ourselves to nature like the lavender flowers. We walked among trees and hills crushing the grass beneath us and contemplating our every step. There was a moment when I suddenly watched every step I took because I didn’t want to disturb anything from its place of being. Each pebble, every rock, each leaf and the trees which stood in a flock. It might sound stupid but I wanted the place to be exactly the same for any person who happens to walk past next, looking to heal her wounds or wanting to experience the majestic charm of the nature. We pushed ourselves out of our comfort zones, stretched our footsteps over the roads to Kausani and walked till our breaths would allow.


In Kausani, my favorite part was witnessing the shimmering stars which decorated the sky. The entire city glowed from beneath us and watched as we lived some of the best moments of our lives. When the sun rose from amidst the snow covered Himalayas to warm the chills in our bodies, I realized how ups and downs are an everyday affair. The frozen water of the waterfall soothed our tired feet and made the uphill trekking worth its efforts. Singing and food kept us in high spirits and the morning rain in Almora was just the perfect closure to a scintillating trip. Never had I thought that my aching body would give me immense joy and a sense of accomplishment. I remember how I lay in the bed in the middle of my sleep, unable to change my side due to the pain and I couldn’t stop laughing. I was ecstatic.

Amidst the trees and hills, the walks and jokes, the learnings and lessons a realization dawned upon me. The trip might just be a weekend getaway; but the journey is to last forever.

Comments