Unmasking The Clown

Contributor - Akash Suresh



My account of experiences with Gramya Manthan-8, a rural immersion programme in the villages of Kutch, Gujarat, India.

I wear a mask, perfected over time. Perfected so well that it has become a part of me. What does it take to throw it away and feel genuinely vulnerable? Is there anything called unconditionality? What does it take to compromise on rigidity and openly accept fallacies? Where is the fine balance of everything? What if the beliefs that we hold strong are shattered to pieces? What does it take to embrace free fall and trust the dance? What does it take to be happy?


Gramya Manthan has been a quest to try finding answers to many such questions.

Initially, little did we know of the 10-day journey we were about to embark upon. Things unfurled over time, revealing wonderful insights that were otherwise far-fetched. All that was required? A free, open mind and an unconditional heart. For the first time, I opened out to people I had just known for a day, without any fear of judgment. I stepped into their feet, trying to understand others, through their stories. The realization that every human out there has an interesting tale to tell, a colorful fabric to weave struck me hard.


A week in the villages taught that happiness can be found in the simplest of things. The starry skies, untrodden roads, divine sunrise, tranquil pond, Kabir’s masterpieces, insightful conversations, biting cold, unwavering culture, childish innocence, loud silence, soulful music, binding righteousness, beautiful art, uncontrollable laughter and most of all, lovable people; they pretty much sum up my stay in the villages.



I got to listen to enlightening words. Stories of the beautiful internetwork of everything with everything. Stories of what design learning actually is. Stories of courageous decisions, of unconditional service. Stories of unrelenting and deep quests. Stories with happy endings! The ability to listen with no assumptions has increased manifold in me. I realised that eyes speak a lot more than mouths and it takes a lot to listen to them.


From the vibrant Sabarmati Ashram to the peaceful villages of Kutch; from the silent sands of Rann to the pristine campus of Environmental Sanitation Institute in Gandhinagar, the journey was unique and a first of it’s kind. I have a new family back in Kutch and all across the country. But the journey within has just begun, the mask has begun to fade and there is a long long way to go!

Until then, all I have to do is take a deep breath, trust the process and get on and on with my churning…

Comments