The Great Indian Circus

Contributor: Rachit Sharma 

I had an unnerving nightmare -
the world of media - all the scheming 
coming alive 
people spoke like, acted like, killed like 
they do behind the screens - the world looked scary 
the world looks scary 

I wonder if the Indian news anchors acted in their homes
the way they act in mine 
I wonder if a certain anchor who speaks for the nation 
speaks to her own daughters/nieces at home 
the way he slanders other women with his unchecked might

I wonder if they snooped in their neighbour's private chats 
while their parents, in the next room, ailing, dying

I wonder if they howl in their own drawing rooms 
to butcher their own children's minds 

I wonder if they use their privileges, in personal lives, 
to create designs 
that lie, cut, chop, mince consciousness 
and all its signs 

I am all certain that they avoid watching television 
to deny that one moment of reckoning 
where their conscience screams louder than 
the TRP chime.

Comments