Where do I begin? :- Love and Gratitude being part of Gramay Manthan 10



Contributor: Khushali Katharani
Reflections from: Gramya Manthan 10

I am browsing through the Gramya Manthan 10 photos folder on Google Drive, trying to pick a couple of images to post on Instagram, intending to write a small appreciation post for Youth Alliance for their 9th year anniversary, or should I call - the 9th Birthday! And, as I browse through the images, my mind gets flooded with memories, my heart is filled with a comforting warmth and my hands don't know whether to scroll fast to see all those images at once, or to scroll slowly and savour the sweet nostalgia of December 2018. And that is when I realise that it will not be possible for me to encompass my journey with YA in just a few lines. Since the first time I stepped foot at the Safai Vidyalaya in 2018 till this very day I am immensely grateful for the experience that was Gramya Manthan. Coming back to the photos - I see faces that I recall having long conversations with, I see moments of deep reflections, I see moments of vulnerability, I see laughter, I see struggle, I see empathy, I see love and I see the journey of 40 odd individuals that came together to become ONE by the end of the 10 day journey. It is very hard to pick one moment, one conversation or one day from all the countless experiences that add to what becomes at the end of this journey.




Safai Vidyalaya: From my long call with Saloni, where I had never felt so connected to a stranger so quickly. To the talks and reflections with mentors like Ashish Kothari and Jayesh Bhai; the trust fall, the warm welcome, the sweet little heart pins, Tejal Didi’s hugs, the smile and simplicity of the staff at Safai Vidyalaya, the sharing circle in the evening, the beautiful morning circle with Kishan Bhaiya, the birds of Ahmedabad and the sukoon of being so close to the Gandhi Ashram. It is hard to pick just one moment.


Kutch: Again, where do I begin? A long talk with Shashank on the bus journey where he spoke about shunyata while I was a novice trying to grasp a concept that was so alien to me, I guess I still am just learning about it; the chilly moonlit night when we first step foot on the land of Kutch; the children at the Gram Swaraj Sangh; the amazing gujju food; the session with Setu members, Dev Bhaiya and Sushama Didi; Nimo’s guest and the food experiment; the shared moments of at times light hearted- at times deep conversations with the participants; the dance performance for the kids and finally the visit to the villages!








Mangad ki Mandali: The excitement of meeting my small group of people led by Aaliya and Viraj. I will always remember Preeti’s singing, Swati’s cute bengali, Vraj’s comfort with silence, Akshay’s travel stories and poetry, Nidhi’s openness to sharing her thoughts (sorry if I am forgetting someone here).

The joy of reaching the village and meeting with the curious yet shy glances of the children, visiting the village school and probably getting the shock of seeing no children there. Then visiting the other side of the village across the highway, the deserted neighborhoods of the village, learning about the problems of migrations, meeting the Panch of the Village and finally the overnight stay with the most hospitable people. I can never forget Daya ben's warm smile or the piercing eyes of Sangeeta, the cattle of their home, the bharat embroidery work, the bajri no rotlo and the moon lit aangan of their home.The openness, love and hospitality of the people there left me feeling humble and made me question my urban ways of living.







Sugad: Again, the hugs and warm welcome, the bonds created by then with a few of the people had become comfort zones, the pivotal conversation with Kisan Bhaiya (that I really needed); the freshness in the air of ESI; the circle with Prakhar Bhaiya, the magic and tears of the last circle and the gratitude walk that summed it all up perfectly. There are still many moments with self and with people that I shared which I am failing to express in words here. Each of these moments in some form or the other have come back to me over the last couple of years. I have ruminated over and over again and found myself reaching out to these moments for comfort, for affirmations and even for newer reflections. YA and Gramya Manthan happened to me at a point in my life where I superficially knew what I wanted but had not spent time to dig deep and ask myself questions. Gramya manthan did not preach but gave me the opportunity to pick my learning, it gave me a safe space and a community. I may not have engaged with everyone but each of those people on that journey take a special space in my heart.


Thank you YA for all the amazing work you do, the spaces you create and the hope that you bring to this world.






Comments