Imagination of the depths: Aniruddha's Reflection Story

    Contributor: Aniruddha Kulkarni



It was the morning of the second last day of 2018, at the conference hall of ESI. It was the last day of GM. Everyone was dressed at their best, many girls had draped attractive sarees and guys were wearing handsome shirts. There were multiple sessions held including a short slideshow of the various pictures clicked by our very own Bharat. While going through them, I realised, we weren’t just learning various things and experiences but were actually creating memories. Every time I hugged a single person, it gave me an unusual strength and hope for the future that these change agents by going into the world will be spreading the message of love, trust and harmony amongst tomorrow’s youth. All throughout the sessions, I had only one thought, how do I remain bound with these beautiful souls and the idea as a whole. And as expected the means of remaining connected was given by the organisers themselves.




There are programs and initiatives by which alumni can bond and one such idea is of the Padh Yatra. I found the concept interesting but didn’t know when would it be organised and in which part of this vast and diverse land, but to my luck the opportunity came quite early just within four months, after the life changing experience of GM, and it came as a pleasant surprise that it was to be held in my home state, Maharashtra, somewhere in the vast undulations of the Sahyadris in the Western Ghats. No sooner it was announced, I immediately applied for it and was eagerly waiting for it. Initially participation of around 15 people was being discussed but a cozy group of 5 turned up. I am grateful that Rachit and Riya went ahead and hosted us and I am lucky to have met Ayyan, Rishabh, Shivangi and Vani as my fellow Yatris, and two guides of ours, Siddhant and Vaibhav who didn’t loose their cool in herding us through the trek and led us with tremendous enthusiasm and strength. During the GM, there were sessions wherein importance of nature and adverse effects of manmade activities on it were deliberated upon. 

Being an environmental lawyer, I agitate various environmental issues in courtrooms. I was learning new facets of nature conservation through the discussions at GM. I wanted to explore nature with the GM philosophy with same people. And as the phrase goes, “birds of same feathers flock together”, similarly, we 5 people with our 2 passionate GM coordinators undertook a moonlight trek of the fort Ratangadh in Sahyadris under the idea of Padh Yatra. Ratangadh forms part of the Kalsubai – Harishchandragadh sanctuary. Kalsubai is the highest peak in Sahyadris and the sanctuary even has the 2nd deepest valley in Asia, Sandhan Valley. A ray of hope is generally associated with sun rise but YA ideology is so unique that Padh Yatra started with a beautiful full moonrise. A moonrise which was experienced right from the gentle glow in the East till the moon shone never brighter throughout our trek which ended way past midnight. That full moon even reminded us of our another full moon experience during our stay at the Gram Swaraj Sanstha, Kutch which was a different place altogether, and from there the nostalgia started flowing gently throughout our three days of togetherness. The trek was unique in another aspect, that night it was only YA people who were trekking the fort, there was no external human element present around us which could have influenced our thought process through the thick forests of the sanctuary. The sound of rustling leaves of the summer night breeze, and intermittent sound of crickets and owl hoots were allowing us to ponder during our Padh Yatra, as to how minuscule we were in this vast forest and yet how closely we were connected with the nature with the sound of dry leaves supporting our every step. Living on the edge of a cliff was also experienced by us when we actually stayed on a small portion of the fort, at its highest elevation, which was a cliff from three sides. 



Things were a lot clearer in the morning when all other peaks in the range including the Kalsubai, were witnessing a different set of people who were waking up to a sunrise amidst a breathtaking view of the mighty Sahyadri ranges. We all were having similar mood of tranquility and were at peace. Each had a different experience the night before. We had walked through various thoughts, were seeking answers on various questions, few might or might not have got them, but a morning at an elevation of more than 1200 mtrs. from sea level was definitely different collective experience for us. Descending down was a different experience because Sun had started dehydrating us. My interactions with our local guide, a villager of the base camp, had started unfolding. Upon me asking, he started telling the various medicinal plants which were found in the villages and how they rarely went to a doctor. Being an Adivasi, he had inherited traditional knowledge not just of the medicinal plants but survival as a whole in the forest. I appreciated the fact, in spite of he owning a vehicle and travelling to nearby towns, he made a choice of staying back in his village, amongst the farms and the forest and live a humble life over the mechanical existence of city dwellers, he chose clean air and water over urban pollution, he preferred cow dung smeared flooring over tiled ones. That’s where I started thinking that, quality of life is very subjective and probably in certain aspects he and other Adivasis were having a better one than we Yatris. 

Being in my native state, there was no language barrier for me to interact with him on the various social issues which are there in a village set up. I started drawing comparisons, between Sukhpar, the village in Kutch where I stayed and his village, Saamrad. Both villages had their own issues, but the major difference was the presence of water and its share of every villager and every other living being. In Sukhpar, their lives revolved around water, whereas over here in Saamrad, it didn’t. My heart and mind was back again in Sukhpar. I told him my recent GM experience and even YA as an organisation. That’s where he got curious as to what we participants did by sitting in circles. He said, he takes many groups on the trekking expeditions, but he has never seen a group sitting in circle and discussing amongst themselves. He even said that your group is quite silent, not much of shorsharaba. This was even observed even by me. Topics of discussions amongst us were different, they were meaningful and the bright sun overhead was teaching us many facets, which was further enhancing our conversations. Upon me telling him what I learnt from my GM experience, and the intention of participating in the Padh Yatra which I was undertaking along with him, he was happy to know that YA is working towards bridging the gap between Bharat and India. He expressed that he’ll be happy to host YA participants in the village, his keenness was expressed when he mentioned that many villagers speak Hindi. Why wasn’t I taught these human qualities in school? Rather what was taught to me under value education? This coaxed me to think, there is a major rethinking needed on various aspects of life. Thanks to YA, I am thinking this, at least at this age, better late than never. After a tiring night and day trekking, the most awaited time was when we bathed and played in the river in the evening. It was one of the most exhilarating experiences for me. And while in the waters, I again recalled the drought in Kutch. They might not have seen a flowing river in a long time. And here in April heat, the Pravaraa river was silently meandering in the Sahyadris. 




The morning next gave us a glimpse of the second deepest place in Asia, the Sandhan Valley. They say that the noon sun rays don’t reach the deepest labyrinths of the valley. Well, we didn’t go that far but the superficial declines gave us goosebumps on the imagination of the depths. It led me pondering about the wonders of natures. An area of not more than 10 sq. kms. had such ironic heights (highest peak in Sahyadris, Kalsubai) and the deepest valley in Asia (Sandhan Valley). Within 10 hours I had seen silhouette of the mighty Sahyadris due to moonrise and sunrise. Nature has so much to offer, it is upon man’s will to preserve. My heart was wrenched to see plastic bottles and packets on the tip of the Ratangadh, in the forests, near to the Pravaraa river even in the valley. When and how we’ll evolve as a society? Who’ll take the lead? How will I be able to change these things? Are we going to be in time and are we going to do enough? I work and plead on behalf of the Govt. in the Green Court, criticism on Govt. functioning has to be constructive. Young officers in the Govt. are coming up with innovative and progressive policies, and are trying hard to implement them, but the biggest task at hand is educating the careless society which is not leaving the great heights and the deepest places on earth without plastic and other non bio degradable substances. We won’t be able to do enough to mend everything. But, we can make it a darn sight better than it would be if we didn’t do anything at all. After coming back from Kutch, there were various habits which I implemented, starting with washing my own plate, bowls and utensils in minimum possible water. Family members and relatives dropping by occasionally started giving me puzzled looks. I had to explain them, its not just about me doing some chore on my own, but there is even aspect of water conservation. Quantity of water used by me during the showers has also reduced. I have even started reusing water for related chores. There is some start. 


There are many questions for which I am yet to find the answers. This actually excites me to participate in further YA activities and undertake another physical or mental Yatra with like minded Yatris who will mold me further and help in changing the society and continue my Yatra. 

Comments