Journey from Self learning to Self-exploration:Swati's Reflection of Gramya Manthan


    Contributor: Swati Maiti


I got to know about Gramya Manthan program from a faculty member in Azim Premji University and few of my close friends suggested me strongly to go to this program. Keeping a clean slate always have helped me to explore more. I have always been in the City of Joy and for the past six months I have been in Bangalore. Travelling was one of the last thing in my imaginative bucket list. I still remember thinking of a quote by Gustav Flaubert, “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world” and that somewhat triggered me to go on a journey of myself. From the moment I reach Ahmedabad and I entered Safai Vidyalaya, I felt a gush of warmth which I haven’t felt for a very long time. I can undeniably say that the whole journey made me more soft and empathetic towards everyone. Maybe “free hugs” are my go to things now. I do not know was it the absolute surreal colour of blue of the sky that enthralled me or the sky at daybreak where I saw the last star and the shape of the moon so clear and the birds chirping that made me realise that there is so much to know and explore, and how tiny space I have explored and so much is left for me. But what I felt was a gush of empathy and thankfulness. 




The few visits in the village triggered several questions in my mind about the intricacies of relationships, the gift of giving and the heart to be present in the moment. Away from the chaos, I felt those pure emotions in a safe space where I took back many more sensitive hearts with me. We tend to tame our chaotic minds, and try to answer the complicated questions and in the midway, somehow we forget to be present in the moment, to cherish our inner strengths and peace. 

Gramya Manthan taught me to step back and take a moment for yourself to be in the moment. 




A Journey from Self learning to Self-exploration: Kutch, 2018



Comments