Outward Travel to Embark on an Inward Journey

Contributor: Swati Kukreti

There is a constant fervor in me to challenge myself, to go through new experiences in order to realize my hidden potential and enhance my learning’s. I always hope that it will bring in freshness and new perspectives about oneself and the world around. In order to achieve this, a break from the regular routine that will allow introspection and infuse new energy is vital. I had known about GM for years however may be it wasn’t the right time for me to be a part of this self exploratory journey until now. If anyone asks me what I have gained post attending GM 2017, maybe I will not be able to list down the outcomes however there has been a shift in me through multiple points of transformation during this 9 day journey.

One needs to travel inwards to reflect and retrospect. GM through activities such as Life Map, trust  activity reinforced the idea of knowing oneself. As said by Aristotle “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom”. GM helped to nourish the concept of empathy in me. As said by Mohsin
Hamid “Empathy is about finding echoes of another person in yourself”. There were many occasions when I was able to empathise with the participants and the community members in the villages. I was able to reflect on my journey, empathise with people and the journey that they have undertaken. I tried to find inspiration from their lives and all this filled me with a deep sense gratitude for the people and situations that have made me what I am today. In the hustle bustle of life I often miss the small opportunities to acknowledge and thank people who have made this life so beautiful. So during those 9 days, I took an opportunity to thank some special people in my life.

Getting into the rural spaces without inhibitions, living a small part of the life that the village people lead has helped me empathise more with the people. Participating in organizing the community dinner was an enriching event. Further staying with a totally unknown family in the village was a first time experience. It’s only when an individual can experience the life of being in the rural area can they empathise and actually think of becoming a change agent for the rural India. It helped me experience that material things can be immaterial if we choose to not let the idea of comforts affect us. Discomfort also brings in its own set of joy and learning’s. I as a person plunge into things hence it wasn’t difficult for me to experience what the situation had to offer. As I moved away from my comfort zone I experienced nature at its purest form and overcame any inhibitions about material comforts.

Gramya Manthan has been a connection driven process with oneself, others and the nature. Further it acted as a fruitful platform to help me learn and also delearn a lot of things in life. GM helped me make wonderful connections with myself and the people from diverse age groups and backgrounds. The moments of silence, sharing circles, Coffee Session stirred something in me. I wouldn’t say I found solutions however I did get opportunities to express my inhibitions, my confusions, acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses, appreciate the gift of sharing and trust everyone. It has infused a calmness, a deeper desire to listen and new positive energy to keep on doing as the soul guides.

The energies between people just flowed without being forced. People were just present to themselves, others and the moment. No use of phones, money, using the resources provided by the YA team helped in achieving the purpose. It’s amazing to witness how each one supported to take small steps to get out of each ones comfort zones and overcome inhibitions of adjustments, opening up to others, trusting, supporting etc. I am glad that expect a few glitches not one day did the group falter to follow the commitments. This helped in bringing out the best in each one.


"GM gave an opportunity to display my gifts and offer them to nature and its living beings around me. Further I observed the different identities that I have and how I behave in each role."

"GM also acted as a mirror to show the limitations that I have, the unconscious judgments that I may pass, how my mood can affect my working, my physical limitations and helped me to consciously make an effort to be non judgmental towards people and situations, overcome the physical limitations by pushing myself out of the comfort zones."


I am glad I was present and acted to the best of my ability at that given moment."


Apart from the qualitative things I was able to know more about concept and approaches to working such as systems thinking, design learning, service learning. Further some sessions by learned resource people were intriguing, thought provoking and helped me gain more ideas about facilitation skills. There were multiple moments of realizations and transformation through experiences and activities such as solitude time, coffee session, life map, letter to self, filling the reflection journal, gift of sharing, appreciation circles that brought in positivity and faith.

GM ended formally however the journey we trended on will continue. Post GM I am stillrealizing the feelings I am undergoing, the connections I have made and the things that have changed within. As I sat down to express it in words I am clueless as words are limiting for the shift I am experiencing. Language will not be able to do justice as my vocabulary is limited and my feelings are unlimited.

There are very few organizations for which the individual is the pivot of its working, that value the individual and assist in enabling one to know themselves. As change is the only constant each individual too changes with each passing day. YA is committed to be part of the continued journey of one’s self growth through its continuous support through its team and alumni network. GM offered connections that may be missing for many people so far. I will just like to be associated with YA and its network in the future, share my gifts with everyone I can and contribute in the lives of others as much as I am. For some time in my life I am trying to live in the moment. I will make conscious efforts to be in the moment and find the purpose that makes me happy. Look forward to embarking on paths to find oneself and bring out the best in me. “Maybe it’s not about the length of time you’ve known someone; maybe it’s about instant recognition on an unconscious level our souls know each other” S. E. Hall. I look forward to meeting people to build on old connections and make new connections.

Read more stories of Gramya Manthan here.

Comments