A Leaf From My Tree Of Life


Contributor: Priya Maria

Some things that happen in your life are not accidents or coincidences. It is destiny. Gramya Manthan meant different things to different people. For some, it was a journey of self-discovery while for others it was a much-needed break from the hassles of city life.

It was my spontaneity and fern wah that brought me to Gramya Manthan 2016. Nevertheless, I couldn't hold back the strong emotions and memories I had in those 9 days. Some things end, true, but only to have new beginnings. 



On 25th April 2016, a mail popped on my screen. My reaction was that of dismay. Being the editorial head of an e-magazine I had a hectic task of going through each and every article, edit them and give feedbacks. Each new mail was just another piece of work I had to do. However, this one that popped on turned out to be a surprise. It was an invitation to an amazing journey where we go back to our roots that are the villages. I read on and found that this is the much-awaited break I need from the monotonous city life of traffic, pollution, deadlines and failing relationships.

Hence, I registered and applied for Gramya Manthan organized by Youth Alliance. I found that it wasn't easy. The application consisted of questions that had deep meaning and the answers had to come from the heart.


It took me hours to ponder on the questions and come up with suitable answers. Of course, I could have lied but the questions were so moving that it compelled me to think. Besides, it's not every day that anyone asks you questions like these. It's always the general things about your health, weather and work.After filling out the application and submitting it I waited patiently. After three weeks I received a call from a facilitator saying that my application has been processed and that I should expect another call for a telephonic conversation from another facilitator in the evening.I agreed and was looking forward to it. I browsed the web for news and other general information seeking topics to talk about. It never crossed my mind that the conversation would be focused on my life.

I received a call from the facilitator. After the initial greetings, we dive into the main conversation in which he asks me so many questions about my personal life. I tried to evade those probing questions but I couldn't . I felt so vulnerable. My life hasn't been all rosy and cake walk to boast about. It was always a struggle and an uphill battle right from the minute I was born. After the conversation, wherein I had poured out my heart, I felt light and warm. It was like a load has been lifted off me.

I waited for a week in anticipation of which I received a call saying "congratulations you have been selected for Gramya Manthan".I was surprised, happy and excited.My journey to Gramya Manthan 2016 commenced on 10th June. I said goodbye to my family who were inwardly glad to get rid of me for 10 days. I boarded the train to Kanpur and as fate would have it, a fellow participant of Gramya Manthan was sitting right in front of my berth.


We both were glad to have met each other. We chatted all the way and bonded well in those few hours. That beautiful person was Noel. Soon she got immersed in reading 'Mahabharat' whilst I took a nap. We both reached Kanpur in the evening and we were welcomed warmly by our friend and fellow participant Vikas Pal. He was a very chirpy and active guy who helped us with our transport and filled in the details of Gramya Manthan. We reached our lodgings which were in Shramik Bharti. Few other participants had already arrived. We greeted them and soon gelled well with them. I met the team of Youth Alliance and they welcomed us with warm hugs and kind words. 

During dinner, we interacted more with each other and we found that though we have met just a few hours back we felt like one family. That feeling was very special and it is very rare.The days that followed was filled with sessions and activities that I opened doors for introspection as well as an understanding of the community.

The beginning of a new story in these pages.

The sessions that were conducted, namely the icebreaker, empathy session, life maps etc paved the way for us participants to better accommodate ourselves in the villages. The weather was hot and humid. The clothes I had to wear were fully covered best suited for village environment which made me a bit uncomfortable. In summers, back in the city I hardly went out in the heat and I can always be found sprawled on the sofa with a novel , wearing a cool bathrobe.

A bus from Shramik Bharti took us to the villages . We had to spend the rest of our days in the village. Initially, it was a bit difficult owing to the fact that our surroundings were new to us. There was no electricity and water had to be collected from the hand pump. The water itself was saline and it was a pain to consume it. It was in these moments that I wished I were back in my city. Living in villages also made me realize the importance of family and a place I can always go back to , the one I call home. We performed few tasks in the villages in different groups. Some were cleaning the villages by removing all the plastic bottles and other non-biodegradable wastes. Others were clearing the roads in which thorny plants of 'babool' were invading .There were also participants who were teaching the village children in their 'masti ki pathshala' while others were involved in 'Lipa pothi' which is something to do with cow dung.

Bonds to stay longer.


I was most of the time in my world observing and pondering things. This trip to Kanpur, somehow I felt was my first and the last and I wanted to have as much fun as I can in my own way. I jumped into the river like those small, active kids. I caressed and played with the goats. I climbed trees and tried to swing from one branch to another like mowgli. The family I stayed with were very warm and welcoming . They gave me a lot of Buffalo 's milk to drink. They served me hot rotis laced in Desi ghee. It was amazing to witness their spirit of kindness.I played a game of chess with a kid. I helped the child in 1st standard with her English homework. I sang for them and shared stories about my life with them.They, in return, filled me with details about their life in the village. It was surprising to know how they seemed content and at peace with whatever they had. It made me sad as well to know how much more they deserve and the things they are missing out.That night under the starry skies was like a revelation for me. Immense possibilities were opened for me. I made certain promises to myself, something which will be manifested in the chakra of time. 

"Rome was not built in a day. Changes take time to occur. Sometimes, we feel that something inside us has moved or changed but it takes time for others to see it."


   
The closing Ceremony

Gramya Manthan was one such change. My quest for wisdom and discernment through travels have increased ten folds.In the final days of Gramya Manthan, I received letters from a secret angel which was so wonderful. Every time I read it I feel so blessed. The person, whoever he or she maybe, a big hug for you. Your letters always lift my spirits whenever I feel let down. I am no longer a person with mediocre dreams. A good college degree, fancy job, marriage, kids were what I thought my life would be about. I have abandoned it all.


Today, I want different things. I want to give more, serve more, feel more. Charity begins at home. I am therefore embarking on a quest to tie the loose ends. Bridge the gaps and mend the broken hearts.


Thank you GM for the love, the pain, the kindness, and a space to be heard.


It's time to bid goodbye. Our paths must never cross again but I will always cherish the fond memories.

Comments

Popular Posts